Monday, March 21, 2011

This weekend I finally decided to transition into the Gluten Free life style. I am not 100% there, but it is my hope to fully transition at least 90% of the time. The other 10% I will allow some freedom, especially if I am at someones house where they are serving something with gluten or I am on vacation and I am having a hard time finding Gluten Free menu items. I am not one of those people who are laid out in bed when I eat something glutenous, but it sure does affect me in a not so pleasant way, so I think these new changes will be good for me.

Also, I have decided to go some what dairy free. I am still eating cheese (minimally) and some yogurt in my smoothies or for a snack. For milk I am moving away from dairy and going the Almond route. ;-) Soy is not good for me because of my thyroid issues, so it's Almond milk for me.

Almond milk is loaded with unsaturated fat, which means almond milk is beneficial in reducing the risk of heart diseases. Moreover, almond milk does not contain cholesterol and saturated fats. The protein content in almond milk helps the growth and repair functions of the body. Besides proteins, almond milk also contains omega fatty acids.

Almond milk also furnishes the body with high levels of manganese, selenium and vitamin E. Manganese plays an important role in activating enzymes in the body. Manganese along with phosphorous also plays a role in keeping bones and teeth healthy. Vitamin E, an antioxidant protects the cell membranes by destroying the free radicals that cause damage to them. Selenium on the other hand is good for the functioning of the immune system, for reproduction and for metabolism of the thyroid gland.

The magnesium obtained from almond helps break down the food consumed into energy. It also assists the functioning of the parathyroid glands, which are responsible for production of hormones known for good bone health. The potassium present helps maintain normal blood pressure. Almond milk is also a good source of flavanoids. This is because, almond milk is prepared by crushing the almonds with the skin. The skin is rich in flavanoids, which is good for cardiovascular health, thereby providing protection against various heart disease.

Coconut Sugar-Which is really Coconut crystals

They look like this. I think it actually tastes similar to sucanat sugar.

•Coconut Sugar is rated as a GI 35. By comparison, most commercial Honeys are GI 55 and Cane Sugars are GI 68.
•Coconut Sugar has a nutritional content far richer than all other commercially available sweeteners.
•Coconut Sugar is especially high in Potassium, Magnesium, Zinc and Iron and is a natural source of the vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6 and C.
•Coconut Sugar is a 100% Organic, unprocessed, unfiltered, and unbleached natural sweetener. And contains no preservatives.

Instead of regular flour, I will not be using Coconut flour. I will possibly mix it with some of the other Gluten Free flours when making bread.

Coconut flour is unlike any other consisting of 14% coconut oil and 58% dietary fiber! The remaining 28% consists of water, protein, and carbohydrate. If you haven't tried coconut flour yet, here are some more excellent reasons to start:

Coconut Flour is ideal for baking. It has fewer digestible (net) carbs than other flours, and it even has fewer digestible carbs than some vegetables!

Coconut Flour is gluten-free and hypoallergenic. With as much protein as wheat flour, coconut flour has none of the specific protein in wheat called "gluten". This is an advantage for a growing percentage of the population who have allergies to gluten or a wheat sensitivity.

Coconut Flour consists of the highest percentage of dietary fiber( 58%) found in any flour. Wheat bran has only 27% fiber.

Coconut Flour can help you reach a healthy weight. Ideal for those who follow a low-carb eating plan, coconut flour works well as part of a weight loss program because it has high fiber, and foods with high fiber can help promote a feeling of fullness.

Whoever said "you can't have your cake and eat it too" was definitely in the dark about the benefits of coconut flour!

No comments:

Post a Comment